Selecting an independent living community for your parent or loved an important decision. Choosing the right place for them to receive the care and services they need requires you to research the options to find the right fit. An independent senior living community with a variety of amenities and sense of community can help to make the transition a little bit easier.
Some things that you may consider when looking for a retirement home may be:
- Private rooms, en-suite bathrooms
- Transportation to recreational activities for residents
- Meals, quality and delivery
- Fitness programs
- Housekeeping, laundry and concierge services
- Faith services or transportation to local services
- Information on health inspections
- Health services like dental and physiotherapy
- Size and location of the facility
- Testimonials from other residents and family members
- Online information and ratings
Any move for an older family member or loved one can be difficult. Knowing what to expect ahead of time can help to ease the transition for everyone. If you can, keeping your loved one involved with all of the decisions and processes about their transition will help to ease the fear of the unknown. They may have feelings of apprehension and engaging them in the process can help. Feelings of grief and loss may be present and are natural reactions to the upcoming changes. Helping them grieve by acknowledging their feelings and focusing on the positive changes ahead is one way to adjust. Be sympathetic to the feelings and give them time to acclimate to their new living situation.
The staff at the Hamlets at Westsyde in Kamloops has a mission to ensure that our residents are safe and well cared for. We can answer any questions that you and your loved one may have about independent senior living or assisted living.