When the costs and the rat race of living in the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island prove too much for your pocket book and peace of mind, it is time to consider other options. Many seniors are looking for milder climates and restful communities with ample amenities.
One such option is beautiful Penticton, located in the Okanagan Valley of the Southern Interior of British Columbia, situated between Okanagan and Skaha Lakes. In 2006, its population was 31,909, while its census agglomeration population was 43,313
Here are a few reasons why retiring in Penticton is a perfect option:
- Sunshine! Over 2,000 hours of it annually
- Hockey Hall of Fame and ECHL Penticton V’s Hockey Team
- Fresh fruit and vegetables available from local growers
- Wine Capital of Canada with over 100 wineries less than an hour’s drive away
- Opportunity to interact with other retirees with common interests
- Three ski hills are within easy driving distance
- 7 public beaches stretching over 5kms along 2 pristine freshwater lakes
- A wide selection of professional golf courses
- International cuisine makes Penticton a Mecca for Foodies
- Shoppers will revel in the creative and handiwork of local artisans and boutiques
- International airport is a 55 min drive in nearby Kelowna with bus service options
- Walking, hiking or cycling trails – plenty of outdoor activities to choose from
- Join local clubs and organizations and attend or volunteer at year round events
“It’s 10 minutes corner-to-corner and yet we have everything.” – Sue B., Penticton
There are housing option choices that are perfect for downsizing, empty nesters and retirees. Do you want to reduce costs, incur less maintenance and still be close to area amenities? Penticton offers a variety of real estate options for retirees, including:
- Age restricted condos with no upkeep, or bungalows that allow for gardening
- Retirement communities that offer one level rancher living
- Lakeview, age restricted areas that offer pools, club houses, and even some that are walking distance to Skaha Lake
- Homes on native lease land and homes on freehold land
Concerned about medical services? Over 100 doctors including General Practitioners and Specialist offer services in Penticton and Penticton Regional Hospital is a fully equipped hospital located right in the heart of town. It is operated by Interior Health and affiliated with UBC Okanagan’s Faculty of Medicine service.
“People stay here and enjoy where they are living.” – Cathy W., Penticton resident
With some of the best weather in Canada year round, beaches right in town, a full range of public services and recreation facilities, plus the pleasure and security of small-centre living. Penticton lifestyle embraces activity, healthy living and community. Known as the Festival Centre of the Okanagan, Penticton residents comment that there is always something happening in town to do, see or get involved in.
Penticton is a natural choice for retirement and family members living in the Lower Mainland will be able to visit often for summer weekends and holidays!